Poha is considered to be a healthy breakfast option in Indian families. It is very famous in Northern region of India. It is a good source of carbohydrates, packed with iron, rich in fibre, a good source of antioxidants and essential vitamins and is gluten free . Who have diabetes, skin and heart problems they can easily consume poha in their breakfast. Poha is made up of 76.9 per cent of carbohydrates and about 23 per cent of fats. Hence, it’s a great breakfast food as these healthy carbs provide energy to the body to carry out its daily functions. Poha is also light on the stomach and can be easily digested. Poha does not contain any protien, but when cooked in the traditional way, peanuts are added to it, making it a protein rich breakfast. Hence, Poha is the most loved breakfast in Indian families.
How poha helps you in your weight loss journey? Click here to read!
- 1 cup Poha / Flattened Rice
- 1 Onion , medium size , chopped
- 1/4 cup Green peas , fresh or frozen
- 1/3 cup Carrot , chopped
- 1/4 cup Potato , chopped
- 2 no’s Green chillies, chopped
- 2 Sprig Curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tbsp Coconut Oil or any cooking oil , unrefined
- 1/2 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 tsp Jeera seeds /cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp Peanuts
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/4 tsp Hing / Asafoetida
- Rock Salt according to your taste preference
- 1 tbsp Coriander leaves , chopped
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
Instructions To Make Poha
- Rinse poha 2-3 times and set aside for 10 minutes. Let water drain completely.
- Whilst clean and wash all vegetables , chop and keep it ready .
- Heat oil in a kadai / deep pan , add mustard seeds , jeera seeds allow it splutter.
- Add peanuts and fry till it turns brown.
- Throw in curry leaves and green chilies , saute for 30 seconds.
- Add chopped onions , turmeric powder , asafoetida and saute till onions turns translucent.
- Now add in green peas and all vegetables , add 1/2 tsp of salt and cook on medium heat until vegetables are cooked. Just make sure green peas and potatoes are well cooked.
- Add poha , salt to taste and mix well everything.
Are you trying to loose weight but do not want to eat tasteless boiled food? Then read about my other weight loss recipes .