Tofu, sometimes called bean curd or soybean curd, is a creamy, high-protein, low-fat soy product typically sold in blocks. It is also high in calcium and iron. It’s made from soybeans, water, and a coagulant or curdling agent, and absorbs flavors through spices, sauces, and marinades.
Tofu is naturally gluten-free and low in calories. It contains no cholesterol and is an excellent source of iron and calcium. It is an important source of protein for many vegetarians and vegans. One block of tofu contains 177 calories.
Health Benefits of Tofu-
- Tofu is known to be high in calcium. In fact, a 100 gram serving of it contains about as much calcium as a full 200 ml glass of cow’s milk. Calcium is an essential nutrient for growing children.
- Studies have shown that if you eat enough tofu, you can get the appropriate amount of protein, total fat, carbohydrates, and fiber.
- It helps prevent certain chronic diseases like diabetes, high blood pressure and also prevents cancers such as breast and prostate cancer.
- It helps in weight loss and prevents early ageing. Consuming tofu regularly helps lower bad cholesterol (LDL) and reduces symptoms associated with menopause.
- The low-fat and low-calorie content makes it an excellent food choice for diabetic. Therefore intake of at least 200 grams of tofu per day can reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.
- The proteins present in it help improve the elasticity of skin, and tone facial muscles.
- Touted as a complete health food, It is rich in proteins, nutrients, minerals and antioxidants that help improve the functioning of the immune system.
100 grams of tofu contains
- 10.1gm protein
- 94 calories
- 5gram fat
- 227mg calcium
- 1.82mg iron
You can read more about the nutritional value of tofu . Click the link.
Ingredients for making Tofu Makhani-
- 100 gram tofu cut in cubicals
- 2 chopped tomatoes
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 chopped green chilies
- 4 overnight water soaked cashews
- Lemon juice
- Unsaturated butter or any oil of your choice
- Cumin seeds
- Garlic and ginger paste (optional)
- Black pepper
- Take a pan and let it heat up for 5 minutes. Now add butter.
- Once the butter melts down, Add chopped onion and wait for it to turn light
- After that add chopped tomatoes, chilies, soaked cashews and stir well.
- Turn off the burner after 5 minutes and wait until the mixture cools down.
- Once the mixture cools down, grind it in a grinder and make a thick paste.
- Turn on the warmer, put the pan on it and add a little bit butter.
- Let the butter melt and then add asafoetida, cumin seeds and ginger garlic paste in the melted butter. Now add the paste and mix it for 5 minutes.
- Now add salt, black pepper and lemon juice according to your taste preference. Mix it well and add 2 cups of water. Stir well and add tofu cubes after 5-7 minutes.
- After that cover the pan for 5-7 minutes and turn off the burner.
- Low calorie Tofu Makhani for weight loss is ready to serve. You can eat it with rice or chapati as you like.
Read more low calories recipes-